Print

jUNE 22, 2020

IAF has expanded its program delivery role to support both industry and Government in responding to the impacts of COVID-19 on the agriculture and agri-food sector in BC and more broadly in Western Canada. 

Learn more about the Emergency Processing Fund and the Canadian Seafood Stabilization Fund.

Project funding is available to help domestic food processors, manufacturers or greenhouse operators manage new health and safety protocols while maintaining Canada’s food production. The IAF-administered fund focuses on for-profit organizations, cooperatives and Indigenous groups in Western Canada.

Applicants must meet the following criteria to be considered eligible:
 
  • Be a legal entity capable of entering into a legally binding agreement
  • Have been in operation for two years
  • Be involved in food processing, manufacturing or greenhouse production in Alberta, Saskatchewan, British Columbia, the Yukon and the Northwest Territories
  • Be able to contribute a percentage of the project’s total eligible cash costs
Note: seafood processing or manufacturing is not eligible under this program.

What can I use funding for?


Program funding is designed to support specific priority areas relating to food safety and security, including accessing non-disposable personal protective equipment, modifying facilities to adapt to new health protocols and increase production, and temporarily increasing capacity for humane slaughter of surplus animals resulting from the pandemic. Meat processing facilities are considered the highest priority, followed by all other food processing, manufacturing and greenhouse operations.

How much is available?


Out of the $77.5 million commited by the Government of Canada, IAF is administering $5 million of cost-shared funding to eligible projects up to $100,000 in size (per applicant) with the minimum application size being $10,000. For project funding requests $100,000 and over, applicants must apply directly to AAFC.

What is the application and project timeline?

Project applications will be accepted until July 3rd @ 4:30pm PDT or until the funding is fully subscribed, at which point the application window will close.

Eligible costs/activities are considered retroactive to March 15, 2020. All projects must be completed by September 30, 2020.

The Canadian Seafood Stabilization Fund supports the fish and seafood processing sector to manage the impact of COVID-19 and to prepare for economic recovery.

IAF is delivering funding to eligible businesses that are active in the fish and seafood sector in British Columbia. The activities undertaken by the applicant will determine the value of funding available and whether funding is repayable or non-repayable.

Applications, through IAF, are open to For-Profit Organizations and Not-For Profit Organizations in British Columbia.

What can I use funding for?

The CSSF is designed to support specific priority areas relating to employee health and safety, plant operations, market responsiveness and storage capacity. Funding is either repayable or non-repayable depending on the amount of funding requested and which priorities the application will address.

Funding will be allocated according to these two priorities:

Priority #1: Worker Health and Safety
Priority #2: Plant Operation , Market Responsiveness, Storage Capacity.
 
For project funding requests outside of British Columbia, applicants must apply directly to Western Economic Diversification Canada. 

How much is available?

For worker health and safety: up-to $100,000 of non-repayable funding is available per project. Up to 100% of the eligible project costs are covered for expenses related to incremental, non-revenue generating equipment/material for worker health and safety measures due to COVID-19.

For Plant Operations, Market Responsiveness and/or Storage Capacity: up-to $1,000,000 of repayable funding is available per project. Up to 75% of the total eligible project can be cost shared with the applicant responsible for contributing the other 25%.

What is the application and project timeline?

The application window will open on June 22 @ 9am PDT and applications will be accepted until July 13, @ 4:30pm PDT.

All eligible activities/costs are retroactive to March 15, 2020 and all projects must be completed by March 31, 2021.